Thursday, April 17, 2014

All roads lead to...San Francisco

After nearly three years of staying warm in chilly Chicago, Calvin surprised me with a question one night.

"How would you feel about living in San Francisco?"

The question was a surprise because we had discussed how we expected to always stay in Chicago (despite the weather). I had a large group of friends there, and Calvin, a University of Chicago grad, had a large network of contacts there as well, despite the fact that he was actually from Singapore.

However, it turned out that Calvin had been offered his dream job out in the City by the Bay. A Math genius, Calvin had been working as an options trader in downtown Chicago, but hoped to one day teach highly gifted Math students. The position in San Francisco would give him the opportunity to locate and mentor highly gifted Math students from around the world, particularly India.

When I met Calvin, I had no idea one day I
would be moving with him to San Francisco.


As a trade magazine editor I was able to work from any location, so I knew that would not be a problem, so it only took a moment for me to realize my answer was "yes."

And then in the summer of 2013, Proposition 8 was struck down in California and DOMA was repealed at the national level. Suddenly a legal marriage was possible.

Now the thing we had joked about was possible.

And that was when things began to get interesting.

After all these years, could it really be possible that two men
who loved each other could get legally married?

No comments:

Post a Comment